Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.
Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
CartwrightPorter35  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, August 1, 2017 9:45:21 AM(UTC)
CartwrightPorter35

Groups: Registered

I am trying to find anything that will explain offset/backspacing to me and what effects it has.

We run RR with a 5" offset. I have been told once the track slicks off to move to a 6" or 7" offset. By doing this what effects are going to happen to the car?
Mike Dicely  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, August 1, 2017 2:55:07 PM(UTC)
Mike Dicely

Groups: Administrator, Pay Per View, Administrators, Registered
Man
United States

Was thanked: 128 time(s) in 127 post(s)
The chassis does not know the offset of the wheel center inside the wheel. It only knows where the centerline of the tire is. The weight transfer front ot back and side to side will be the same regardless of wheel center location.

However from the tires perspective, it does know where the wheel center location is. The pressure on the tire will be greatest under the center. The tire will wear quicker under the high pressure area. I have played around with wheel center offset location and found no difference in handling of the chassis, but I did notice a difference in tire wear. The tires wear a lot more even when I moved the wheel center closer to the center of the wheel. (like a 7 on 6 as compared to an 8 on 5). The car may have been slightly better on a slick track as a result, but nothing major. I think it was worth doing, but not big advantage or anything.