Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.
Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
nowings4me  
#1 Posted : Sunday, November 4, 2018 10:04:18 AM(UTC)
nowings4me

Groups: Registered

I understand that we want to move the right rear out for wingless to get more track width which reduces the amount of weight that transfers when cornering and it reduces the amount of static weight on the RR since it’s farther away from the center of gravity.

If I put a different RR wheel on that has less offset, and I don’t change the spacers on the axle, that would move the tire out more. But my thinking is that the wheel center is still at the same location in relation to the car, it’s just the tire that has moved out, so the weight is still being applied at the same distance from the car. So does the less wheel offset have the same effect as adding more spacers to the axle in terms of rear width and RR static weight?

I know a wheel with less offset will apply the weight more to the inside of the tire, but let’s just ignore that for right now.

As an example, if I have my wheel the whole way out and I want to go more, so I use a wheel with less offset. The tire is now farther out, but the weight is still being applied at the same location relative to the car. So did I even change anything?
Mike Dicely  
#2 Posted : Sunday, November 4, 2018 10:16:54 AM(UTC)
Mike Dicely

Groups: Administrator, Pay Per View, Administrators, Registered
Man
United States

Was thanked: 132 time(s) in 131 post(s)
The car, as far as weight transfer goes, only knows where the center line of the tire is. It does not know where the wheel center is. We know this by drawing what is know as a free body diagram in physics. Buit what does know where teh wheel center is is the tire. So by moving the wheel center around we can change where on the tire the forces are applied and we can greatly affect how the tires wear as a result.
nowings4me  
#3 Posted : Sunday, November 4, 2018 10:31:57 AM(UTC)
nowings4me

Groups: Registered

Thanks. So a wheel with less offset does decrease the amount of weight that transfers because the centerline of the tire is farther out, the fact that the wheel center is still the same distance from the car has no affect on weight transfer, correct?
Mike Dicely  
#4 Posted : Monday, November 5, 2018 6:56:15 AM(UTC)
Mike Dicely

Groups: Administrator, Pay Per View, Administrators, Registered
Man
United States

Was thanked: 132 time(s) in 131 post(s)
Correct