Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.
Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
chad2120  
#1 Posted : Monday, June 10, 2019 12:34:02 PM(UTC)
chad2120

Groups: Registered

Trying to understand the reason for different spacing in the birdcage? what effect dose it have if my LR is is 5” and my RR is a 6” ?
Mike Dicely  
#2 Posted : Monday, June 10, 2019 9:01:11 PM(UTC)
Mike Dicely

Groups: Administrator, Pay Per View, Administrators, Registered
Man
United States

Was thanked: 128 time(s) in 127 post(s)
On a wishbone or 4 link car, there is no difference at all. On a Z-link car it affects both rear steer and anti-squat.

The anti-squat is pretty straight forward. Lowering the top radius rod down will increase anti-squat, increasing forward drive. Raising the torsion arm mount will do the opposite.

Regarding rear steer, as the right side of the axle is steered forward the car will get tighter as it will point the front of the car toward the outside wall! Changing the mounting points on the bearing carrier will change when and how much the rear of the car is steered. And you have to consider the left and the right side and how it is steering car at any particular roll angle. This is hard to figure out when and how much the car is rolling especially with the wing on. The car will roll left on entry then roll right on exit. How much and exactly when depends on the size, shape and conditions of the track. Also the ride heights you are running (how high you block the car) will change these transition points as well. Take the stops off you bars with the car on stands and move the rear axle up and down and you will see exactly what I am talking about.