Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.
Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
nowings4me  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, August 7, 2019 12:24:51 PM(UTC)
nowings4me

Groups: Registered

I've seen in some of your documents where to tighten the car for wingless, you suggest adding cross weight, adding turns to LR/RF and taking out of RR/LF. I've also seen where its mentioned (in the midget setup document) you can take tilt out by adding turns to LR/LF to tighten. I'm just curious as to how each of those adjustments affects the car differently? How do you know if you should add cross weight vs taking out tilt?

I would think adding cross weight would affect the car the whole way through the turn, since you're only really changing static weight. Whereas taking tilt out raises the center of gravity and probably shifts it to the right some, which will change how the weight transfers to the right when cornering, so taking tilt out would have more of an effect through the middle and exit than it does on entry.
Mike Dicely  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, August 7, 2019 2:57:54 PM(UTC)
Mike Dicely

Groups: Administrator, Pay Per View, Administrators, Registered
Man
United States

Was thanked: 129 time(s) in 128 post(s)
The common thing with both of these adjustments is that they both raise the car up. So when we add cross weight, I would always do it by just adding turns to the RF & LR, not by 'x'ing it like the asphalt guys would generally do. Anytime you raise the CGH you are going to get more weight transfer from the front to the rear which will give more drive.

Since I wrote the Rethink Dirt Paper, I have done more calculations and data collection which is causing me to want to do more of just raising the whole car on the smaller tracks with just a touch more of cross weight. When we get too much cross weight on a slick track (.8 g's or less) there is not enough RR weight to get maximum traction. So adding more LR weight will generate less traction than adding RR weight in that case. The other thing with cross weight is that is doesn't tighten the car up on entry.

As far as tilt, just from what I liked, on a slick track I would try to get to 1" tilt when measuring at the rear torsion rack, and 1-1/2" on a wet track. If you don't have enough the car gets real unpredictable and hard to drive. It's just a matter of getting the CGH up and we run out of travel on the right side to get it up enough, so we have to just add it to the left side.